Friday, April 21, 2017

Objectivity....

We had to pick an object today - any object - and write a poem about that object. I might possibly be taking the "I will not write about bagpipes" thing a bit far. (Then again, the fact that it tends to be the de facto response to these sorts of prompts probably means I take bagpipes too far.) Having discarded that option, I couldn't settle on pen or sword.... so I did both.

Weapons

“The pen is mightier than the sword.”
So goes the saying. It might be true,
But I have held and wielded both –
The Warrior Poet was common once.
For Sword and Pen both cut as hard
At complacency. Both defend
(If Ink and Iron have any worth)
The Sacred and the Simple things.
And Deed is counterpoint of Word:
If Pen be worth the Ink it spills,
Then must Goodness, Beauty, Truth,
Be lived and loved – even to Death.

No comments: