Friday, November 29, 2013

Middle Earth Challenge, Day 29



My Tolkien Collection

So... I have a lot of Tolkien stuff - mostly books, and some movie related items. I didn't actually realise quite how much I had until I took the pictures. Here is all of it, including a nice copy of his Letters, the beautiful red leather copy of The Lord of the Rings and a similarly fine green copy of The Hobbit. I think I own nearly every volume of the The Histories of Middle Earth - i.e. practically every thing Tolkien wrote as he developed his mythology:



So here we have a pile of nice hard backs, including a Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, a medieval poem in Middle English, which Tolkien worked on. For lack of a better term, I shall simply call it a bilingual edition, with the Middle English on one side, and Modern English on the other... Um... yes, I have read it in the original. I am a nerd:


And here are some trade paperbacks, with Tolkien's original designs for the covers:



I own several books about Tolkien himself - I highly recommend Tolkien and the Great War, in case anyone is interested:


There are items concerning the Elvish languages, primarily Qenya, the language of the High Elves:


There are books to learn more about Middle Earth itself:


The complete, extended editions of the soundtracks - which means that I have Flaming Red Hair, which is the tune played at Bilbo's party, the lament for Theodred, the song from the Houses of Healing, etc... and copious notes on the music, from the various themes and motifs that reoccur throughout all three movies, as well as information about some of the less common instruments that were used:


I have a set of miniature, pewter Fellowship figures, which I could not get to photograph very well. I believe they were intended to be used in a game of some sort. I just sort of collect little metal soldiers, so these fit right in:


There are bookmarks:


And action figures of my two favourite characters:


This extremely fine miniature reproduction of a Gondorian Guard's helmet:


And last, but not least, this incredibly lovely reproduction of Pippin's scarf, which a very dear friend knitted for me. It is probably my favourite accessory ever, as its colours match nearly everything I own, and... well, its Pippin's Scarf! 


If you are interested in finding out more about the Middle Earth Challenge, click here.

No comments: