Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Middle Earth Challenge, Day 12



Favourite Location

Between Middle Earth and the Undying Lands, Tolkien has created a truly spectacular world, full of fantastic places, many of which would be delightful to spend time in. From Tanaquil, the Holy Mountain of Valinar, home to Manwe and and Varda, to Numenor, the great, ancient land of the Men of the West; or the hidden city of Gondolin, to the Elf-King's Halls in Mirkwood, Tolkien has strewn his mythology with suitably epic locations. I love Tolkien's worldbuilding and his incomparable skill in creating places and cultures that are so authentic, that it is sometimes hard to remember that you're are not actually reading ancient histories, but merely a work of fiction.

So, I feel a trifle sheepish about the fact that my two favourite locations in any of his stories, is the hidden elvish Kingdom of Imladris - called Rivendell in the Common Tongue - and Hobbiton. I have always lived in mountains, and my preference towards landscape runs to the wild and rugged - two qualities that Rivendell possesses. On the other hand, I am immensely fond of cosy fires, snug homes, and domesticity. So Hobbiton always feel like home to me in the books. I cannot decided between the two. Ideally, this is what I would love the best for myself:


If you are interested in finding out more about the Middle Earth Challenge, click here.

No comments: