Thursday, January 31, 2013

International Magicians' Day


Apparently, that is today, if this discussion site can be relied upon.. I have  no idea how long it has been celebrated, but the date was selected because it is also the feast day of St. John Bosco, who happens to be the patron saint of magicians. As a young man, John Bosco was something along the lines of a street performer. He could perform as an acrobat and a juggler, as well as doing sleight of hand and card tricks. You can find out a bit more about him here.

There are Christian and Catholic Magicians' guilds who follow in the footsteps of Don Bosco, and use magic and card tricks as a way of spreading the Faith. Here is a rather neat little video along those lines:


5 comments:

Katrina said...

Well there's interesting. I had no idea there was a Catholic organization for Magicians. Makes you feel cool, doesn't it? Like, Catholics are COOL!

Treskie said...

Aaaaaaah! I LOVE that card trick. So cool. Card tricks are cool.

Magicians are also cool.

And bowties.

Isabella DeLallo said...

Catholics are the best and St. John Bosco was amazing. I didn't know any of this - thanks for bringing such a day into light

btw I awarded you over at my blog.

isabelladelallo.blogspot.com

God Bless

Amy said...

AWESOME! I love it. :D It kind of gave me goosebumps to think of Catholic Magicians following in St John Bosco's footprints. It's just awesome.

Anonymous said...

SUPER COOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!
Gina