Wednesday, January 2, 2013

God Send Us a Merry New Year, Part 2



New Year's Eve was fun. I spent it with my family. My sisters elected to stay up to see the New Year in with me. We watched White Collar for most of the evening, and when the midnight hour approached, I got out my pipes, and went out into the cold, cold night to play a few tunes:


I played a few Christmas tunes, and then a few Scottish marches, and then, of course, Auld Lang Syne. There was a very odd, outdoor (in spite of nearly 3 feet of snow on the ground) electric music festival going on in town over the weekend, and apparently, they had fireworks, for no sooner had I played the first few notes of Auld Lang Syne then there was a great deal of cheering away off in the distance, and the western sky burst into a glorious display of fireworks. It wasn't quite Edinburgh Castle, but it was pretty exciting nonetheless.

My sister, Teresa, had printed out a large 2012 on a sheet of paper, so once I had piped as long as the cold weather, and consideration for the neighbors would permit, I burned it with great satisfaction. Good riddance to 2012, I say!




And there goes the last of it!




Then we all had a bit of whisky out of the good crystal, so that we could give each other toasts, and welcome 2013 in proper style:




We stayed up far too late enjoying ourselves immensely. It was really quite grand. Here's to the New Year!


3 comments:

Jack said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! (Now I wish to pop over and listen to you play the bagpipes as I love bagpipes. There is a piper in town who plays outside Walmart at Christmas in his full Scottish outfit. One off the best parts of Christmas here.)

Happy New Year to you!

Anonymous said...

DIE 2012! AND STAY OUT!!!!

It was a lovely New Year. I love it when you play Bagpipes *Grin*

Happy Birthday Tolkien!
God Bless
Bella

Anonymous said...

That sounds like such a fantastic finish! And a wonderful beginning! Oh! HOW I miss you peoples!!!!:-) Gina