Wednesday, January 2, 2019

May Your Days Be Merry


It occurs to me that it might be nice to share a more upbeat Christmas song for a change. You are getting a very idiotically cheerful song by the Irish Rovers and I really cannot tell you much more about it. Their liner notes attribute it to S. C. Smith, whoever that is. Google is not forthcoming, no matter how many ways I try to make inquiry. It suggests that I really want Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith, and I am pretty darned sure that I do not. I also found several website solemnly averring that the first line runs, "When I was afar one winters day I took my TV neath the tree" which is just stupid. To begin with, no one just happens to be carrying a TV when their afarring. And even if we suppose that the TV was obtained when the person had settled down for the night in that far away place, taking it out neath the trees during winter is exceedingly ill-advised. And lastly, the rest of the song is a pretty traditional and straightforward retelling of the Christmas story, which would make a TV's appearance highly anachronistic. If you ask me (and I know you won't) the line actually runs "When I was afar one winters day, I took my tea beneath a tree". But what do I know?

Without further ado, let me present The Christmas Traveller:


And if you have ever heard a hallelujah sung with more unbridled mirth than they do, I'd like to here it!


No comments: