Thursday, January 3, 2019

I Give You This Toast: "To the Hobbits!"

"May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." (Tolkien's toast at the Hobbit Dinner in Rotterdam, March 28th, 1958.)

Today is the birthday of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, and as all good Tolkienists do, I celebrated with right good cheer. I prepared a most satisfactory, and hobbit-like repast of sausage and mushrooms, which I consumed while listening to music inspired by the Professor's subcreation. More to the point, in a couple of hours, I shall join legions of Tolkien admirers around the world by standing up at 9 pm, raising a cup of cheer (in my case, Talisker) and saying with great enthusiasm "To the Professor!"

In honour of the great philologist, philosopher and subcreator, you get the following Christmas song, which I am ridiculously pleased to be posting. Several years ago, when I first discovered Tolkien's poem, Noel, I posted it on my blog with the comment, "it seems the sort of thing that ought be set to melody, and sung by people who are glad to sing and do so heartily." And lo and behold, when I did my daily searching after songs, I found that people who are glad to sing, did indeed set it to song, and here it is:



Yes, yes, it is in Polish, and they use the introductory preamble from Peter Jackson's Fellowship of the Ring to start it out, but it actually sort of works, and it is quite a hearty rendition of the poem. I rather love it..... it rather made me cry. (The disclaimer is that I am inclined to happy tears these days. No reason. I just am. It is rather novel after years of not doing that....me that always cried in deep emotion.)

And for those of you who would prefer a more traditional Christmas tune for the day (sure and I don't blame you) here's The Boar's Head Carol, because it is associated with Oxford, and what could be more hobbit-like than a carol about a procession of food?




No comments: