Monday, December 31, 2018

New Years' Eve

Here's to the customary Wassail song for the occasion-- dare I say, let us wassail the day?

So, Wassails songs are funny. We all know Here We Come a-Wassailing and most of us can sing a bit of it. For all intents and purposes, it is the Wassail song, as far as most of us are concerned. But once you start looking for others.... well, golly, the sheer number of them can be surprising. And while most of them recycle much of the lyrics, imagery and tune amongst themselves, there are also rather a lot of quirkily singular Wassails to be found.

This is such a one. The Sugar Wassail:




There is a rather odd line in it : "Bring out your silver tankards, likewise your kissing spear"..... And I blinked, wondering what on Earth a "kissing spear" is. Nothing for it, but looking it up. It turns out, it is just a weirdness, for which we have no real explanation. The lyrics ought to be "golden spear" but for some reason, it was changed while being collected. At least, if this exchange on Mudcat is to be believed.

And I also have a poem for all of you. 


Prayer to the New Born King



I am made hard by sorrowing,
My heart is closed, even to Thee.
Oh, Thou my Jesus, my Infant King,
Touch my hardness, my sorrowing,
With Hands of Healing, heal Thou me,
Make Thou my barren heart to sing,
Break open for love and joy of Thee.

No comments: