Tuesday, December 26, 2017

St. Stephen's Day

To my surprise, finding a song for today was far easier than anticipated. Generally, I struggle to find decent hymns or carols for St. Stephen. They exists. I have come across mention of them. I have read the words to some of them, and I have even heard one or two.... but weirdly, despite the fact that a great many medieval and Renaissance hymns and carols have been recorded, St. Stephen seems to get short shrift as often as not. However, this is a very fine little carol-- and Middle English macaroni carol, which may have benefited from a more Clancy Brother-ish treatment, but is still worth listening to:



And lyrics as well, because I am nice that way... and I want to call attention to the first word, so long as I am at it: eia. A cursory glance into the usual suspects (Etymology Online, I tip my hat to you.) I cannot find any definite etymology for this Middle English word. I suspect it is related to the Old English 'eala', which occurs in a poem by Cynewulf: "Eala Earendel"-- which inspired Tolkien's Earendil legend. Of course, the greeting in Tolkien is "Ayia Earendil"... which word bears a striking similarity to 'eia'. (And, incidentally to Latin 'eho' and Greek 'eia'-- and if we're getting thoroughly word-nerd, Modern English 'hey', which in turn goes back to a Middle English word, 'hai' or 'hei'.) Which just goes to show: Tolkien was very clever in using real-world languages to give his own invented languages a sense of history and connection. 

 Eia, Martyr Stephane
Pray for us, we pray to thee.
To this martyr praise be given,
    Qui triumphavit hodie,
And did gain the bliss of heaven,
    Dono coelestis gratiae.
Stoned he was with stones great,
    Fervore gentis impiae.
Then saw he Christ for thine enemies,
    O martyr invictissime!
Then pray for us that high Justice
    Ut nos purget a crimine. Amen.

No comments: