Thursday, December 21, 2017

O Oriens


This is my favourite of the Antiphons. There are so many gorgeous translations for the first word: O, Oriens! O Radiant Dawn! O Daystar! I love that description of our Lord. (When I looked up pictures for it, since that is the quickest way to find the Latin text, one of the suggestions that came up was Earendil.... which delighted me excessively.) I came really, really close to posting the long-threatened polyphony today. I found one that started out with the chant, and then added harmonies afterwards. I liked it... and then I didn't. However it seems a pity not to encourage you all to here it, so if you want to skip the superiour chant posted below, and listen this instead, you may. But really, the chant is better. There are bells:


And, of course, you should check out the video with the explanation and meditation upon this great Antiphon. (It gets bonus points for starting with what might possibly be my favourite Bible verse ever... it is certainly my favourite line in the Mass :-)

No comments: