Friday, January 3, 2020

The Professor!

Today is the Good Professor Tolkien's 128th birthday. I have no idea if the hobbits would say "twelvity-eight" or "one-hundred and twenty-eight", but they would no doubt have been very respectful of his great age. As is usual, I spent the evening being a Tokienist:

Writing out Toasts and Playing with Sealing
Wax -- Please note the Tree of Gondor.

Getting Set Up for the Toast: Whisky, Toast
Picture, Candles, Sealing Wax and Seal.

Toasting the Professor-- Yes, I Have a Giant
Gondorian Flag Hanging Above My Table--
It Was a Gift and I Love It.

In honour of the Hobbits, who valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, I am posting the following Christmas song. I have heard this before, but always sung in a rather slow and stately fashion, or if it is a woman singer, with a tendency towards icy, ethereal tones. This version is both quicker than the average and the tune is slightly different, and it really reminds me of Hobbits. (It also reminds me of my family celebrating Christmas):


And, because it is Tolkien's birthday, and I found it, and I can't resist, here is a video in which an entire decade of the Rosary is said in Quenya. It helpfully provides the Quenya text in both Tengwar and in Latin letters, as well as the English:





No comments: