Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Eleventh Hour Post


... And looking at the time on the corner of my screen, that is pretty literal. I have been far spottier about making Christmas posts than I intended to be this year, but it seemed a pity to let the last day of Christmas go by without remark, so here is one last quick post. 

Today is the the feast of the Epiphany, also known as Three Kings Day and Little Christmas. As you might guess from the second name on the list, it is the day in which we commemorate the visit of the Magi to the Child Jesus. In many traditions, this is the gift-giving day of Christmas. In my family, we truly do celebrate it as a little Christmas, with a few small gifts, a fancy dinner, and general merriment.  It is a very pleasant tradition.

Although Epiphany has been celebrated since the very early days of Christianity, I found it surprisingly difficult to find a proper song for the day, aside from We Three Kings - which is a very fine song, but not particularly remarkable, it being very well known. But I persevered, and found this song, which has a sort of charm about it:


No comments: