Monday, January 6, 2014

All from Sheba Shall Come, Bearing Gold and Frankincense, and Proclaiming the Praises of the Lord.


Today is the feast of the Epiphany, the last day of the twelve days of Christmas. It marks the day of the visitation of the Three Kings to the Infant Jesus, and the first time that our Lord revealed Himself to the Gentiles. The Liturgy for Epiphany is very like to that of Christmas day itself. You can read about some of the traditions particular to this feast day here.

I missed posting yesterday, because I was too busy to sit down and do it properly, so I am finishing off with two songs today. The first is from Handel's Messiah, and is far more fitted to Christmas-time than the more popular Hallelujah Chorus. Besides, I have posted a lot of old, very traditional and largely folk-ish carols this year, so it seemed fitting to include this quite magnificent classical piece:


 

And to complement it, here is a beautiful, timeless carol, based on Christina Rosetti's poem. It has some of the most lyrical descriptions of winter you are likely to find - I particularly like the phrase "snow had fallen, snow on snow" because, as people in snowy climates know, that is exactly what it is like. The ending verse seem particularly fitting for today:


 

Today is also Sherlock Holmes' birthday - at least, according to this article. So, many happy returns of the day, Sherlock! You are not expected to come for dinner, as there are likely going to be people there, but hopefully someone will provide you with a cake that looks like this:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxd4bbrkQX1r9r4hno1_500.jpg
source



3 comments:

Jack said...

I feel like I got to celebrate with you today! The package you and your sisters sent came in the mail and it put me back in a very holiday spirit. I was grinning so hard I am surprised my teeth stayed in.
I was going to email you, I shall likely do so anyways, but I don't know when I will have time to sit down and write one. Tomorrow if all goes well.
Anyways, I wanted to thank you so much for the gift! I love it! It is so fantastic and now I have proof for anyone who doubts my spy claim. It is so wonderful and amazing and I am going to use it as much as the Doctor uses his...I have a blank. Psychic paper? Or as much as the brothers use their fake FBI IDs. Thank you so much 8-D Now when I meet Coulson he won't be able to turn me away

Jack said...

So very pretty! I really like the one by Julie Andrews.

Anonymous said...

I'd eat the cake....doesn't the skull have a name? I would eat him even if he does.