Thursday, January 6, 2022

So Bring Him Incense, Gold, and Myrrh..

 A happy feast day on this the twelfth and last day of the Long Christmas! There is a brief article about forgotten customs of Epiphany on One Peter Five, to which I shall direct you attention. I also draw you attention to another article on the same sight, explaining the custom of chalking the doors on Epiphany, and gives the little ritual for doing so. The article on forgotten customs listed and event I had never heard of before-- the Precession of the Magi on the Clock Tower of Venice. There is a decent article about the this event here, and a video at the end, that plays through serval occurrences of this event. I love the little touch of the Kings doffing their crowns to the Madonna and Child. 

For this feast day, I am offering a version of What Child Is This from a concert by Apollo's Fire. Generally, this carol is sung to the tune of Greensleeves, but in this performance, it is sung to an old Irish tune called, My Lagan Love. It is very beautiful, and I like it:


Indeed, the entire Celtic Christmas Vespers performance is worth taking a listen of. For people like me who have managed to collect rather an encompassing range of carols-- including quite a number from a various Gaelic traditions-- all of this music sounds "Christmas" to me, as I have heard all of them before, mixed in with other, more common carols. Yet, even for people to whom most or all of these songs are new, it is very lovely, very joyful, and a fitting way to close out Christmas and head into the season of Epiphany.

No comments: