Monday, December 27, 2021

Snow Had Fallen, Snow on Snow....

 

....Snow on Snow. In the bleak Mid-Winter.....

I am quite delayed in posting my usual Christmas tunes this year, and the explanation is in the title of this posting: It has been snowing on and off for a week, and I have been shovelling tremendous amounts of snow. Behold, the current state of my yard and the street where I live:



This is not a particularly unusual amount of snow for this area. We have, alas and alack, suffered from drought for the last few years. And last year in particular was an extremely paltry winter, dry and warmer than average. So, it has been a few years since we have had to contend with quite this much of the fluffy, white stuff all at once. But those slack years are something of an exception, and storms like this generally occur here two are three times during the season, with numerous small storms in between.... And I love them. I always love them. I never get tired of the snow. Not even when it occurs in non-winter months, such as September or June. Not even when-- as with this year-- the plow drivers are sort of awol most of the time, and when they do show up, leave awe-inspiring berms of ice and snow (mine was something absurd like 3 feet high, and 6 feet wide, and the one in my mother's yard made mine look small and gentle by comparison.), which take several hours of hard labour to clear. 

Since, however, I have been so busy shovelling, I have had little time to put serious thought into the sorts of songs I wish to share this year, so I am beginning with something that has nothing whatsoever to do with today's feast of St. John, but rather is simply something that has been going around in my head for obvious reasons. In the Bleak Midwinter is based on a poem by the incomparable Christina Rossetti. This version is sung by Julie Andrews, and is likely my favourite version:



No comments: