Tuesday, January 3, 2017

To the Professor!


Its that time of year again - January 3rd, the birthday of J. R. R. Tolkien, and then time when all good Tolkienists raise a cup of cheer and toast "To the Professor!"

I had a nice little bit of Whisky, in my nice little Scottish quaich, and after giving the toast promptly at 9 pm, sat me down to drink my drink, and read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, as it has become my annual Christmas book - a lovely thing in Middle English (this particular edition courtesy of the Professor) and a modern translation of the original text.


(You can see my Tolkien Society bookmark, one of the old Merry and Pippin bookmarks given me by a good friend for Christmas, many more years ago than I care to remember, the new Tree of Gondor earrings that were a Christmas gift this year, and the clever Elven brooch I made of a soda can, a couple paper clips and a Sharpie.)

Since we are still within the 12 days of Christmas, I thought it might be well to finish off this post, with this video:





No comments: